This year, as the cool fall weather has moved in and the daylight is fading faster, we’ve been experimenting with various chicken soup recipes to find one that really “hits the spot.” There is something special about chicken soup – for both health and attitude! After several tries and variations, we think this one is just about perfect – and now it’s famous!
It’s a great Saturday or Sunday late afternoon treat to make in the fall and winter months. Hope you enjoy it – let us know by posting a comment!
To make it easy, you can purchase the key ingredients from Trader Joe’s and make relatively quick work out of putting the soup together. Plan on 35-40 minutes or so to get this soup ready – with some additional time afterwards to let the soup’s temperature cool down enough for eating.
- 1 carton of Trader Joe’s Mirapoix (14.5 oz of diced carrots, onions, celery)
- 1/2 package of Trader Joe’s Diced Onions (5 oz of 10 oz package)
- 10 oz package of cremini mushrooms
- 48 oz of Trader Joe’s organic free range chicken broth (1 + 1/2 32 oz. cartons)
- 12 oz of diced chicken breast (either prepackaged or cooked chicken tenders)
- 8 oz cooked of your favorite small pasta (we cook a 1 lb. package of
pasta – put half into the soup and save the other half for pasta salad, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp Herbes de Provence
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mini-saltine crackers to accompany
- Bring a large pot filled with water and 1 Tbsp salt to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook for recommended duration – in parallel with the steps below. Strain and set aside.
- In another large pot (this one ends up holding the soup!), melt 1-1/2 Tbsp butter and mix with 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the Mirapoix and the diced onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft (10-15 minutes)
- With the Mirapoix and diced onions are cooking, in a 10-inch fry pan, melt 1-1/2 Tbsp butter and mix with 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp minced garlic.
- Add the mushrooms to the fry pan and sauté over medium heat for 8-10 minutes – then add mushrooms to large pot.
- When the Mirapoix, onions and mushrooms are done, stir in the Herbes de Provence and the flour.
- Add the chicken broth, diced chicken, garlic powder and onion powder. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes then reduce heat to low. Add the milk, lemon juice, and cooked pasta. Bring back up to a simmer for a final 5-10 mins.
- Serve in soup bowls with mini-saltine crackers. Suggestion – save your tongue: wait at least 5 minutes after serving before tasting!
Added: November 15, 2008 – Menlo Park, California