This afternoon, with family company coming, we needed to put something quick together for Saturday supper – and, as it turned out, we had a package of ground turkey in the fridge.
We also had a package of Trader Joe’s “Fire Roasted Vegetables with Balsamic Butter Sauce” in the freezer. (These veggies are also our favorite as a base for a quick chicken and rice stir-fry!)
So, we tried a new variation on Elise’s Mom’s ground turkey recipe – using these ingredients we had on hand – along with an 8 oz can of Muir Glen Tomato Sauce that was in our pantry. The result was great – in about 20 mins – with a bit more liquid/sauce than in Elise’s original recipe. We served it over a package of Trader Joe’s brown rice – so easy to cook in 3 mins in the microwave. Very tasty indeed!
- Olive oil
- 1 package Trader Joe’s Fire Roasted Vegetables with Balsamic Butter Sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 package ground turkey (we used 1.25 lb Foster Farms from Safeway)
- 1 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp dried cilantro
- 1 8 oz can of Muir Glen tomato sauce
- 1 packet Trader Joe’s Microwave Brown Rice
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the Fire Roasted Vegetables and cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the ground turkey to the skillet in small “chunks”, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chipotle chili powder. Add the Italian parsley and cilantro.
- Cook the ground turkey until it is browned on one side, then turn over to cook on the other side. Add the tomato sauce.
- When the turkey is cooked through (3-4 minutes), add back the vegetables and warm mixture. If serving with rice, cook the rice in the microwave for 3 mins.
- To serve, spoon the rice into bowls and cover with the turkey/vegetable mixture.
[First posted: June 6, 2009]